Churches and pilgrimage routes of Lake Garda
"I'm off, then," said German comedian and actor Hape Kerkeling as he set out on the Way of St. James. Since then, the ways of faith and pilgrimage are very much in vogue. Many people want to find themselves, leave the habits of everyday life behind and look for the "more" that is missing in their daily life.
The path of St. James isn't the only path you'll find what you're missing in life. Far closer are the pilgrimage routes of Lake Garda. Even in the Middle Ages, numerous pilgrim paths passed by here. They connected one monastery to the next and led from church to church. For a long time, the old ways were forgotten, today they are big again.
If you don't want to take a short excursion but instead a multi-day hike, you can spend the night in the monasteries and hostels along the pilgrimage paths of Lake Garda. Specialising in the accommodation of pilgrims, they offer affordable and clean housing, simple food and a warm welcome.
One of the oldest pilgrimage routes of Lake Garda is that of Bordeaux to Venice. It was travelled by countless Crusaders who were on their way to the Holy Land. When they arrived in Venice, they left on ships heading east. The pilgrimage path passes San Pietro di Desenzano, Rivoltella, Sirmione and Peschiera and continues to Cavalcaselle near Verona and Venice.
Today, believers and non-believers take the time to go on a pilgrimage. During pilgrimage paths, you can also make excellent day trips or walks to various picturesque churches and monasteries around the Lake. Such a journey would perfectly integrate into a swimming holiday, or hiking holiday at Lake Garda.
Pilgrim trails at Lake Garda:
- From Convento to Santuario Madonna delle Grazie and to Arco
- From the Monastero delle Servite to Arco
- From Santuario Madonna di Montecastello to Tignale
- From Santuario Basilica della Madonna della Corona to Monte Baldo
- From Santuario della Madonna del Carmine to San Felice del Benaco
- From Eremo di Monte San Giorgio to Bardolino
- From the Abbazia di Maguzzano to Lonato
- From Convento to Santuario della Madonna del Frassino and to Peschiera del Garda
- From Santuario della Madonna del Perpetuo Soccorso to Bussolengo
- From Santuario Basilica di San Luigi Gonzaga to Castiglione delle Stiviere