Arrival by car to Lake Garda
A majority of Lake Garda holiday makers arrive by car. You can reach the northern part of Lake Garda, the Riviera dei Limoni - Lago di Garda, the quickest on highway A22 (Modena-Brenner), exit Rovereto Sud / Lago di Garda Nord, even if the Brenner Motorway may seem a bit crowded during the summer months.
Relaxed journey over the old road (Brennerstraße)
For those who are in no hurry, we recommend the old Brennerstraße, which meanders snugly through small villages and northern Italian landscapes. Also, you save the tolls.
Those who prefer to use the motorway to reach the west of Lake Garda should exit at Rovereto Sud / Lago di Garda Nord and continue on Torbole and Riva del Garda. On the western Gardesana SS45 continue towards Limone sul Garda, the first town of the Riviera dei Limoni.
For holidaymakers heading southeast, take the Affi exit. The towns of Peschiera del Garda, Sirmione and Desenzano del Garda have their motorway exits, located on the A4 Venice-Milan motorway. The southwest of Lake Garda can be reached most quickly via the motorway exit Desenzano del Garda.
Coming from most parts of Northern Europe, you can go through Austria and Brenner. Another option is the route leading through Switzerland and the Gotthard Road Tunnel. For those who come from Southwestern Europe to Lake Garda, you will probably arrive to Lake Garda from the direction of Milan (A4) and take the exit of Desenzano. From Eastern Europe, you can access Lake Garda via A4 motorway as well from Venice (exit Peschiera).
The route over the Brenner
Additional costs: Vignette obligation in Austria / toll fees Europa Bridge / toll charges for the use of the Brenner motorway
- Innsbruck is most accessible from Germany via Ulm or Munich
- Via Ulm: A 7 direction Füssen to the end of the motorway. Then on the Fernpass main road B 189 to Mötz. From there on the Inntal motorway A 12 to Innsbruck
- Via Munich: A 8 direction Salzburg. From Inntaldreieck on the A 93 to the former border crossing
- Kiefersfelden / Kufstein. From there continue on the Inntal motorway A 12 to Innsbruck
- At the junction "Innsbruck-Süd, Brenner, Italien on the Brenner motorway A 13
- In Italy, the Brenner motorway becomes the A 22
- On the A22 past Sterzing/Vipiteno, Bozen/Bolzano and Trento direction Verona
- Exit to Northern Lake Garda: Rovereto Sud / Lago di Garda-Nord
- Exit to Southern Lake Garda: Affi / Lago di Garda-Sud
The route through the Gotthard Road Tunnel
Additional costs: Swiss vignette / toll for motorway use in Italy
- On the Rheintal motorway A 5 to Basel
- From Basel on the A 2 past Lucerne and Lugano to the border crossing Chiasso / Como
- From there on the Autostrada dei Laghi A 9 to Milan
- At the junction "Bergamo, Brescia, Venezia" on the A 4
- Departure to the south-west Lake Garda: Desenzano
- Departure to the south-east Lake Garda: Peschiera
- Sirmione has its exit between Desenzano and Peschiera