Place of pilgrimage Madonna del Carmine
From San Felice del Benaco on the west of Lake Garda, a path leads to the Madonna del Carmine Carmelite Monastery south of the village. The church was built between 1452 and 1482 near an existing chapel and is today a popular pilgrimage destination - picturesquely situated amidst olive groves overlooking Lake Garda.
The construction of the Carmelite Monastery, of the Order of the Brothers, of the Most Blessed Virgin Mary, of Mount Carmel, began in 1460 and was completed several years later. In 1770, the rulers of the Republic of Venice expelled the Carmelites, and it was not until 1952 that they returned to the monastery of San Felice del Benaco where they have lived until today in a religious community.
The church, which is inconspicuous to the outside, contains valuable frescoes from the period around 1500 as well as many figures from the shift of late Gothic to the Renaissance. Visitors are welcome and can attend Eucharistic celebrations. Pilgrims will be welcome on request in the nearby guest house "Il Carmine", where they can devote themselves to meditation and prayer. The guest house is not open from November to February.